Thursday, October 17, 2013

Arriving in Kansas City? Avoid the orange barrels

Welcome, welcome. We're already hearing from members en route to the big show, and a few early birds are already arriving. A few dropped by headquarters this morning for a quick visit and building tour before the official truck parking begins at noon at the Kansas Speedway site. The excitement is building, certainly.

Here's a tip to help you avoid playing orange barrel chess as you hit the Kansas City metro. A few through-routes are messed up right now due to construction.

Kansas City, Mo., is doing some work on I-670 this weekend. That's a popular shortcut and alternate to I-70 through downtown. You'd best stick to the I-70 signs if you're traveling east-west through Kansas City, Mo. The state DOT says the I-670 alternate will be closed starting at 8 p.m. Friday evening and lasting through Monday morning.

That's not the only travel advisory. Interstate 35 has been slow-going for quite a while nowadays thanks to lane reductions. So, if you're coming up from the south, it's best to find the I-435 West/North part of the loop and use it to get to the speedway. I-35 from the north looks decent, but you can still grab the I-435 loop and head to the Kansas side that way.

Everything out by the speedway itself looks good, so once you've avoided downtown Kansas City, Mo., you should be in good shape.

Here's some lowdown from MoDOT's website:
New Work Today and Updates/Changes
I-670: Utility work will close I-670 between I-70 and Holmes St. from 8 p.m. Friday, October 18 through 5 a.m. Monday, October 21. A marked detour will be in place.
I-670/ I-35: Utility work will close the ramp from northbound I-35 to eastbound I-670 from 8 p.m. Friday, October 18 through 5 a.m. Monday, October 21.
I-670/ Broadway: Utility work will close the ramp from Broadway St. to eastbound I-670 from 8 p.m. Friday, October 18 through 5 a.m. Monday, October 21.
I-670/ I-35: Utility work will close the ramp from southbound I-35 to eastbound I-670 from 8 p.m. Friday, October 18 through 5 a.m. Monday, October 21.
I-70/ 10th St: Utility work will close the ramp from 10th St. to eastbound I-70 from 8 p.m. Friday, October 18 through 5 a.m. Monday, October 21.
I-670/ Route 71: Utility work will close the ramp from northbound Route 71 to westbound I-670 from 8 p.m. Friday, October 18 through 5 a.m. Monday, October 21.
I-670/Wyoming: Utility work will close the ramp from Wyoming St. to eastbound I-670 from 8 p.m. Friday, October 18 through 5 a.m. Monday, October 21.
Travel safely. We can't wait to celebrate with you.

No comments:

Post a Comment